This post feels like “old news”…”STILL working on that “Sophie” scarf? Isn’t that where you left off in July?” Fair question. I have made all the squares. It was fun until the very end. I fashioned a “roll” out of an old sheet to work like those designed to move around a jigsaw puzzle “in progress” (just in case I needed my dining room table for an actual meal!). I can’t really “roll the thing up” as planned: the blocks shift too much to recover the grid. But, I can move it intact down the length of the table, which is helpful as I work. And, with another pair of hands, all could (theoretically) get lifted off the table in a pinch. Company IS coming this weekend…so that theory might actually get tested.
The layout probably looks rather “random”. But truly, IT IS NOT. The position of each square is related to the ones around it. And, that makes a difference…to me, anyway. (I knew it would, and that is why, unlike any other reasonable person, I did not crochet them together as I went)…And why now, I am “paying the price” for that decision. There ARE known ways to join together crocheted squares. I tried all of them. Rejected them all too, mostly for aesthetic reasons…always wondering “how would ‘Sophie’ do it?” I never figured that out. Her crocheters are REALLY good! They have hidden all evidence.
In the end, I think I invented my own way. It shows the most of all my other options, but it doesn’t peek through here and there, looking like an afterthought to the thing. I hope it is also stretchy enough to allow for a truly flat piece after the blocking is done. It is not a quick process. I feel like I am crocheting “in air”, upside down and “wrong side” out. To support the thing, as I poke my hook into each and EVERY stitch along the edge of the motif ( 14 x 4 x 320 ), I have to work twisted in my chair, with the joined part supported on my knee. Tedious beyond belief. One row at a time is about the best I can do…(all I can say on the positive side, is lots of other things are getting done as well…)